Sergio is a copper artisan from Santa Clara del Cobre, Michoacán. Beginning at age eight, his father and grandfather taught Sergio and his brother how to work with copper. He is from a long line of copper artisans going back to his great-grandfather.
In his home, he has a large photo of a group of men, including his grandfather, around a large copper receptacle. The photo is from 1968 and the large copper receptacle was made in Sta. Clara and used for the eternal flame for the Olympic torch when the Olympics were held in Mexico.
The copper work is manufactured piece-by-piece, using the traditional and artistic technique of "hammered copper." Each artisan imparts part of their soul and spirit to succeed in creating unique pieces of great quality that can be used as decoration or for every day utilitarian use.
This family is flexible, enterprising and ready to face the challenges of a globalized world, with great openness to new ideas. They work with heart and always give each client value and attention to detail.
Sergio has won many local and national awards for his work, his most recent being a First Place award in a national toy contest (Concurso Nacional de Juguete Popular) and a Second Place award in a national contest for hammered copper (Concurso Nacional de Cobre Martillado). He has won the National Grand Prize for artisans (Gran Premio Nacional de Arte Popular). In addition, there is a piece of his work in San Diego, California in the permanent collection of the Museum of Man.
Sergio and his family are featured in the book, Rhythm of Fire: Art and Artisans of Santa Clara de Cobre (Ritmo del Fuego: El Arte y los Artesanos de Santa Clara de Cobre) sponsored by the Cuentos Foundation of Chicago.Santa Clara del Cobre is a town and municipality located in the center of the state of Michoacán, Mexico, 18 km from Pátzcuaro and 79 km from the state capital of Morelia. While the official name of the municipality is Salvador Escalante, and the town is often marked as "Villa Escalante" or "Salvador Escalante" on maps, both entities are interchangeably called Santa Clara del Cobre. The town is ethnically dominated by the Purhépecha people. These people have been working with copper since the pre-Hispanic era, and led to this town’s dominance in copper crafts over the colonial period (1519–1821) until well into the 19th century.